• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Body Weight Training

Sykoknot

Bluelight Crew
Im curious to people results and routines with body weight training. That being no equipment IE. Pushups, Situps, Chinups etc..

Im currently in a position without equipment of any sort, and would appreciate any tips you may have.

if you have 3 chairs you can get in regular push up position with them supporting you (the seats). one for each hand and one for your feet. do a regular up push but go down as far as comfortable. you gain a fuller ranger of motion this way.

since the chairs are set up you can switch to dips. then finish up with your inclined and declined push ups.

all it takes is 3 sturdy chairs that dont slide to to preform these basic exercises.

Single leg squats (2x10 first week increasing to 3x10 next week then 3x 15), jump squats (jump as high as you can from a half squat start 2x10,3x10,3x15), explosive step-ups off a chair (one leg after the other, 1 rep is 2 stepups, one with each leg, 2x10, 3x10, 3x15). This will fuck up your quads.

I just recently got into body weight training (a great alternative to going to the gym if you don't like the "bros").

I do pushups w/ my feet raised onto the futon. hindu squats. wall-sits, crunches, pullups, and triceps dips w/ two futons. all in rapid succession and do like 5 sets of each. maybe 5 seconds rest in between.

I do like 3 sets of pushups and I rep each set until I can no longer do another rep with proper form. I also do dips where you put your hands on a chair and kick your legs out in front of you onto the ground. Its a good tricep workout. Besides that, everything else involves dumbbells and a pull up bar.

I love going to the gym and using dozens and dozens of machines, but when I am at home, I like doing chin ups, push ups, and crunches (while holding weight).

Great way to start... just do some basic fullbody routines and whatnot. Then if you like it you can get a gym membership if you want.

I have this book about body conditioning for MMA.
A lot of it deals with body weight training. Let me get some examples:

for some abdominal exercises:

Rock Back: It's like a crunch but you bring your knees up toward your chin while keeping your head steady and a few inches off the floor.

Leg Lift: Lay on your back with you hands under your butt palm facing down. Keep your legs straight and lift them up, then tuck the knees, then extend the legs vertically, tuck the knees, and extend back out, keeping them a few inches off the floor the entire time. Make sure you keep your head off the floor.

Flutter Kick: It starts out like Leg Lifts but you don't tuck your knees, just flutter your legs. Let them get up to about 2 feet off the floor, then drop down to about 6 inches, and raise the other one. Do these somewhat fast, and make sure your head stays off the ground.

Crossed Leg Reach: Sit like you would in a Sit-Up position and instead of doing sit-ups reach your right arm across to the left side of your body, then go down, then repeat on the other side.

Legs:
Squat: Stand up and squat down until your butt is almost the same height off the ground as your heels. There are different levels of squat though. You can go down to where your butt is just half way or a quarter of the way down as well. Then there's the jumping squat. Where you jump forward a few feet land and squat, then jump backwards, land and squat, etc.

Upper Body:
Tricep Dips: Push yourself up by your triceps. This could be between two bars elevated off the ground, or in a kind of reverse push up position where your butt is facing the ground.

Push Ups: There are lots of variations from the standard, to the extra wide or extra narrow hand placements. Diamond push ups where you place your hands in a diamond position on the floor and try and bring your nose in the center of your hands.

There's the Dive Bomber push up: Your hands should be about as wide as a standard push up, and your feet about about 2 feet apart, then you place your butt in the air so your body is doing this big inverted V. Then sweep your body until your back is arched downward and your head is facing the sky. Then reverse the sweeping motion until you are back to the starting position. These are very similar to the Hindu Push ups that were mentioned earlier.

Pull ups/Chin ups: Pull up is when your palms are facing away from you, chin ups are when they are facing towards you.

There's also an entire guide thats meant for building up explosiveness/agility that works your quick twitch muscle fibers. But that should be good just for getting into shape using your body weight only.

Can we turn this into a body weight training n00bs thread? Don't wanna hijack Sykoknot's, I just have some basic questions myself and thought this'd be better than starting another thread.

I've a barbell with 2X10kg weights on it and wanted to start using it but don't know how may repetitions I should be doing. I have a vague idea that there are different reps for different results but don't know whats what. And how do I target various muscle groups? I'm thinking lying on my back to works the triceps then armcurls for the biceps, is that about right? And how many groups of reps should I be doing daily to start making a noticeable difference, and how long generally do you have to keep at it to see results?

Can we turn this into a body weight training n00bs thread? Don't wanna hijack Sykoknot's, I just have some basic questions myself and thought this'd be better than starting another thread.

I've a barbell with 2X10kg weights on it and wanted to start using it but don't know how may repetitions I should be doing. I have a vague idea that there are different reps for different results but don't know whats what. And how do I target various muscle groups? I'm thinking lying on my back to works the triceps then armcurls for the biceps, is that about right? And how many groups of reps should I be doing daily to start making a noticeable difference, and how long generally do you have to keep at it to see results?

Here is a good whole-body body weight routine: http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11058

There's also an entire guide thats meant for building up explosiveness/agility that works your quick twitch muscle fibers.

I wouldnt mind knowing more about this. As a performing artist/gymnast, t'woud be a good thing to train.

well there's a damn lot of exercises but they pretty much all focus on jumping and landing and jumping again but in different ways to work all the various muscles of the upper and lower leg and core. Do this as quickly as possible.

Like you could do a squat with your body weight, and then to make it a quick twitch exercise just do jumping squats landing on the balls of your feet as quickly as possible.

I don't have time to post all of them now but I will edit this post later.

I've got my hands on a couple of small dumbells, been trying different arm moves, been working my back and forearm type muscles, what do I need to do with them to work my pectorals? So far I've been hurting everywhere but the pecs, and I got some big ass titties that need losing ;)